The 2014 CVEF "School Matters" essay contest begins Wednesday March 12th with essays due by Friday March 21st by 5 PM.
Read the contest details and rules below. We recommend that you compose your essay on your computer in a word processor first, and when you have completed it, click here to submit it to the contest by copying/pasting it in.
Congratulations to all students who submitted essays to the 2014 "School Matters" Essay Contest. The judging has been completed, and the top ten winners from each school level and their essays are listed below.
The essay contest is open to 4th through 12th grade Castro Valley Unified School District students. Adult members of the community read and judge the submissions and winners receive prizes.
If you would like to volunteer to be a judge for the "School Matters" essay contest for the 2013-2014 school year, please send email to email@example.com.
Students, now is your chance to tell us why school matters! This contest is for students from 4th grade through 12th grade to submit persuasive essays on one or more of four topics related to Castro Valley schools. The purpose of this contest is to convince the Castro Valley community to support CVUSD financially (through CVEF) in order to maintain the level of excellence in our schools we’ve all come to expect.
Winners will be chosen based on the quality of writing, the strength of the argument made, and the ability to persuade the reader of the importance of CV schools. Prizes will be awarded for the best essays in each of the three grade level groups: Elementary School, Middle School, and High School. The top 5 scoring essays in each grade group will be published in a booklet and online. All winning authors will be contacted in order to arrange for a photo to be published alongside their article. See entry rules for more details.
Essay topics must be chosen from the following four categories. Each participant may enter only one essay per category, but may enter essays in as many categories as they wish.
- Category 1: Why are school sports programs important to you? (team sports, not P.E.)
- Category 2: Why is the elementary vocal and instrumental music program important to you?
- Category 3: Write about a teacher, administrator, or team sport coach who has influenced you. (CVUSD team sport coaches only)
- Category 4: Why do you think it is important for local businesses and the community to support Castro Valley schools?
Identical 1st through 3rd place prizes will be awarded to the top three essay submissions in each of the grade level competitions - Elementary School, Middle School, and High School
- 1st place - $100 gift card
- 2nd place - $50 gift card
- 3rd place - $25 gift card
Entries must be received by Friday, March 21st, at 5:00 p.m. Winners will be notified by email by Monday March 31st.
All entries MUST contain the following information to be eligible:
- Student name (first and last)
- Home phone number
- Student AND parents’ email addresses
- School name
- Grade level
- Teacher (1st period for middle and high school)
- Topic (category name)
- Writing submission (250 to 300 words)